Vision boards are not only a productive, positive, and goal-setting project that you can do with yourself (Or others!), but it’s also an amazing creative outlet and a beautiful chance to know yourself on a deeper level.
Sounds a little free-spirited and out there, right? Well, I’m here to tell you that I’ve got years of Vision board experience under my hippie belt, and the results have been pretty wonderful in my personal experience.
What’s amazing about the Vision board experience is there aren’t any wrong ways to go about it, there’s no big risk, and you get to be creative, set goals for yourself, and nurture your mental health; all at once! Now that’s a good deal.
Time for take-off, visionaries!
What is Vision Board?
So, what is vision board? Does it really work? And what’s the big deal about it?
All great, and valid questions.
At its core, a vision board is a visualization of what you want your life to be. From career ambitions to personal growth, daily goals, and healthy reminders, vision board ideas come in many formats! Vision boards are typically placed somewhere that they can be seen every day.
Why should you create a vision board for yourself? That’s a fair question, and we’ve got some compelling reasons for you!
- See Your Goals: It’s one thing to write down our goals or have them in mind, but it’s a whole other thing when we place them visually in front of us. Not only can it serve as a reminder of your goals, but it’s also a terrific tool to hype yourself up and get those goals met!
- Promote Positivity: You’d be amazed by the results of positive self-talk and surrounding yourself with positive messages. It may sound like a flower child trip down the rainbow, but when you think about it, it makes total sense. Your voice is the tone you hear throughout your entire day and your whole life. If it’s negative, you’re going to see and feel a lot of negativity in your life. But, if it’s positive, and you feed and consume positive messages and content, you’re going to experience more positivity in your life.
- Get Creative: Vision boards are full of fun potential for creative, out-of-the-box thinking! And even if you don’t think of yourself as a creative person who gets into DIYs, there’s still lots of fun that can be achieved.
- Easy To Switch Up: I’ve had my vision board since I was a sophomore in High School, but the pictures, messages, and goals have been switched in and out so many times I’ve lost count! You can truly see how far you’ve come, and create a visual of your growth as a person.
In short, this DIY is more than a crafty afternoon and a goal-setting session. It boils down to being a thought-provoking, inspirational, and adventurous experience that can double as a motivating tool you can use over and over again.
If you haven’t had the energy to tell yourself lately that you’re pretty darn amazing and you deserve to take up space in this world and explore your passions and goals, let this be a reminder of that important message and the wonderful start to your empowerment journey!
Planning Your Vision Board
Planning has a bit of a down-to-business, no-nonsense vibe, and of course, there’s a level of focus here, but the important thing is to have an empowering and uplifting time with this project!
There is a bit of seriousness surfaced here, but if you go into this project with too much of it, you may experience a level of burn-out, and we don’t want that. So, be sure to give yourself breaks and remind yourself that this is a fun project that’s filled with self-care, self-love, and creativity.
Here are some questions to ask yourself and answers you can write down to get a feel for what you want your vision board to encompass. You can even print off this free Vision Board Checklist if you want to jazz things up!
- What does the best version of me look like?
- What are my career/year goals?
- What aesthetic/vibe is my vision board?
- List ideas for positive messages to give yourself!
It may seem a little tedious to ask yourself these questions, but truthfully it helps you develop a well-thought-out and intentional board that’s going to benefit you in the long run. Throw in your very own questions, too; you know yourself best. Plus, it’s a nice and relaxing mental/emotional exercise to get you psyched for this journey!
Easy Vision Board Steps
We’re going to break things down into 5 easy vision board steps so you can get jiving with your new and groovy self. Please remember to give yourself little breaks in between; there’s no need to rush things and push yourself too hard. This is a peaceful, enjoyable, and wonderful adventure.
Below you’ll be able to check out the supplies you’ll need for your vision board; don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Gather your supplies: The main things you’ll need are a tag board (or something like it), paper, writing utensils, scissors, and a printer!
- Questions & Answers: Ask yourself the vision board questions up above to get a clear vision, no pun intended, of what you want your vision board to illuminate for you in your life. Ex: For my vision board that you can see in the pictures, I wanted to embrace positivity, travel/adventure, abundance, and my personal writing more, so I found pictures and quotes, and I hand-wrote messages that embodied that!
- Create/Print/Cut Out Pictures: After you’ve found the pictures and messages that fit your style and goals, print them off and cut them out. This part is where you start to get giddy; it’s all coming together.
- Map/Tape/Hang Up: Once your pictures are cut out, map them out where you’d like them on the board before taping them down. This way, you can easily move the images around until you find the perfect spot. After taping them securely to the board, it’s time to find a spot and hang it up! Preferably, somewhere you’ll see it every day.
- Create a Habit: Embed reading and admiring your vision board into your routine! This will help establish those goals even more in your motivation and daily life, along with the positive messages playing a key role in your self-talk and view of your reality.
Easy-peasy! Look at you, all ready to take on the visionary world. Here’s a fun tidbit, too, you can do this in a group setting if you’d like.
Throw a Vision Board DIY Party with your close peeps; it’ll be a gathering full of empowerment, inspiration, fun, and memories. If you all create them together, you’re also creating a group of accountability. We can all use some of that every now and then!
Where to Hang your Board:
One of the big keys to your vision board coming in clutch for you and making a serious difference in your day-to-day life over time is embracing it every day. Just like if you practice a skill, the more and more energy you put into it, the better the outcome gets over time. That same principle is applied here!
Making sure your board is placed somewhere you’ll get to see it every day is crucial, so here are some brainstormed ideas of where you can hang this bad boy up!
- Creative space
- Workplace (Cubical/if acceptable)
- Living room (If you don’t mind it being seen by guests)
We know you’ll find a dandy spot for the board that you’ve worked hard on. And you should be very proud of it! Who knows, if you hang it up in a spot where guests can see it, it may just spark pride in you and inspiration in them; double whammy!
Vision Board Supplies
We briefly covered the supplies you’ll need for your board, but let’s get a closer look to make sure the bases are covered.
If there’s something that appears on the supplies list that you believe can be swapped out for something else, go for it! This is your project, and there isn’t a wrong answer.
- Tag Board
- Pen/Writing Utensil
- Tape/Thumb Tacks
It’s totally encouraged to go off the rails and get super experimental and whip open the creativity box. Add in childhood pictures that spark happiness in you, or print out large positive words and color/paint them in.
You can even use our easy-to-follow and aesthetically adorable Tassel Garland DIY to decorate your vision board with! Hang it right at the top, as if it were a cute little party celebration of your personal growth, wellness, and happiness; how adorable and lovely would that be to see every day?
Anything that evokes joy, peace, and your authentic self is more than welcome on your board.
Vision Board Ideas
Here’s the real kicker, where can you get vision board ideas and develop your own? In a world full of messages, pictures, and ideas, how can you zero in on the ones that truly connect with you?
Hear you loud and clear; the world around us can be filled with so much noise and random content that sometimes it’s hard to dig and find what truly fits inside our unique selves. Whelp, there’s nothing like a deep dive and Pinterest board to help with that!
It may sound strange to go on a social media platform for this project, even though we just stated how much white noise is out there, but please hear us out. Creating a Pinterest board for your vision will help you quickly realize what your board’s aesthetic and mission is.
Start by searching for a word that you want to embrace more, such as “Positivity,” and check out the results. Pin quotes and pictures that spark that emotion in you, and go back later and weed out any quotes/images you don’t want on your board.
Here’s a list of possible topics you could search for and incorporate into your vision board:
- Living in the Moment
- Good Vibes
- Career Ambitions
- Personal Growth
- Inner Peace
- Finding Yourself
- Overcoming Fears
- Yearly Goals
Once you start creating a list of vision board ideas, you’ll find that they can start pouring out fast, and you’ll be giddy with inspiration!
Vision Board Resources
Now to gather some inspo and resources for this fabulous board! If you’re looking for some free resources to pull inspiration from, here are a few places you can search and poke around on:
We totally understand the convenience of ordering a package full of all the supplies you need; you don’t have to tell me twice!
Here are some highly-rated and awesome vision board supplies you can purchase to get a kick-start on your new year new me, taking over my life, main character energy agenda!
You are fully prepared to get out there and get started on your bringing your dreams to reality, becoming the best version of yourself, and embracing the happiness that you deserve. It’s all obtainable when you make yourself and the habit of embracing the words and goals on your vision board a priority.
A friendly reminder for you before you begin (because we care): give yourself plenty of breaks in between the steps; there aren’t wrong ways of expressing yourself during the process, and enjoy the experience of creating a vision board for yourself!
Your visionary journey begins now, and we wish you the very best of luck!
Leave a Reply