In this post I’ll be sharing How to Repurpose an old faucet fixture into a towel hook.
One of the first projects we started on when moving into our new home this summer was the bathroom remodel.
Now that it’s almost finished it is time for the hardware to be installed and instead of buying it we decided to make our own.
I wanted to make a hand towel rack with repurposed materials.
Finding the Pieces
Originally I was going to use a 2″x4″, a skeleton key door plate, and a hinge bolt.
While I was in the garage cutting the 2″x4″ to the right length I saw this:
I knew right then and there this faucet handle would replace the hinge bolt which I wasn’t so keen on anyway.
Prepping the Parts
I didn’t know how the faucet handle came apart from the rest of the mechanism, but after some twisting and turning with a couple pipe wrenches, the faucet handle and key plate fit together as one beautiful piece.
All the pieces were cleaned, sanded, and painted.
I distressed the handle and plate a little with 220 grit sandpaper and attached the towel rack to the board.
- MULTIPURPOSE ASSORTED GRIT SANDPAPER: Fandeli's Assorted Grit 80,120,220 Sandpaper Sheets are manufactured from super heavy paper that works on all surfaces. The sand paper abrasive material works well for softwood and hardwood. Fandeli's grit package of aluminum oxide sandpaper is a multipurpose abrasive that can be used on painted surfaces, bare wood, and metal. Fandeli's assorted package of sandpaper for metal includes 25 sheets and they can be used more than once.
- HIGH-QUALITY ALUMINIUM OXIDE: Fandeli sand paper for wood is made with high-quality aluminum oxide mineral for longer lasting sheets, less clogging, and less waste. The assorted sheets are highly abrasive, and with their surface, you can remove an extensive amount of wood and even up all the lumps you come across. Our sandpaper is exceptionally durable, use the assorted grit to smooth and finish. Use this sand paper for wood, paint, and more manually or with a power sander.
- LONG LASTING: Achieve a consistent, smooth finish with Fandeli 220 grit sand paper. Our sandpaper for wood 220 delivers a fast, exceptionally long lasting cut with a consistent scratch pattern for painting, wood working, metal working, and plastics. Use fewer sheets, with less waste and less effort. Sandpaper can be used multiple times. Highly abrasive, rough sandpaper grade, Fandeli’s sandpaper sheet provides exceptional sanding performance, so you can get the job done fast.
- IDEAL FOR ALL TYPES OF SURFACES: No matter what you are looking at; projects, woodworking, experimenting, or tinkering, the assorted sandpaper by Fandeli is made with various grades of coarseness for a variety of projects and levels of sanding. Fandeli’s 9-Inch by 11-Inch Aluminum Oxide sandpaper sheets for wood can be used for general filing purposes. Made with aluminum oxide mineral, this sandpaper for wood 220 can be used on paint, wood, metal, and other materials.
- YOUR SATISFACTION IS GUARANTEED: At Fandeli, we understand that you are placing your trust in us to provide you with the highest quality sandpaper products available. Regardless of your finishing application, Fandeli can help you get the job done with its full line of high-quality coated abrasives from a name you can trust. We have 100% confidence in the quality of our products. Not only are our sandpaper sheets made with love, but we go above & beyond with our customer care.
The Finished Project
The handle reminds me of a flower.
It’s very sweet!
I’m glad for treasures like the key plate and faucet handle!!
Be sure to check out this other hand towel holder made from an upcycled faucet.
It’s a lovely pairing, don’t you think?
Have you taken some mismatched home hardware items and created something useful with them? Please share them in the comments below. I’d love to see your creations!