It isn’t a cozy holiday without creating some Hygge Christmas crafts! There’s something about taking the time to create something with your own hands that’s very hyggelig. And what makes it an even cozier hygge experience is when you’re crafting with the ones you love, in comfy clothes, in a comfortable environment. Let’s not forget tasty homemade snacks, either!
We’re going to show you some Hygge Christmas crafts you can do right at home with simple materials of paper, scissors, and tape. Of course, if you want to jazz up your craft with additional tools, you may completely do so.
Crafters, DIY enthusiasts, and hygge lovers, let’s get our Hygge Christmas crafts on!
Hygge Notes for Stockings
One of the foundational stones for Hygge is togetherness, and with that comes wearing your heart on your sleeve and letting your loved ones know how much you care for them.
This Hygge Christmas craft is one from the heart; it’s a lovely crafted note that looks cute and is a perfect place to express yourself. There’s no time like the holidays, right?
Surprise your partner, children, parent, or friend with a sentimental hygge note in their Christmas stocking. This craft only takes a few minutes, and those mere minutes could expand a smile on the recipient for hours. A precious hygge moment to remember!
- Plain paper
- Colorful/decorative paper
Steps for Hygge Stocking Notes
- Cut or carefully tear along the edge of your plain white paper so you have enough room to write what you want.
- Cut or carefully tear along the edge of your decorative paper that’s slightly larger than the plain white paper you just cut/tore out.
- Tape together the white paper and the decorative paper.
- Write out your hygge note!
- If you feel comfortable doing so, tearing the paper gives your hygge note a vintage and timeless look. Get your hygge aesthetic on!
- Spruce up your hygge stocking notes with other crafting supplies you may have around the house. Such as colored pencils, stickers, or rubber stamps.
- Write from your heart. The whole point of this Hygge Christmas craft is to bring coziness to your Christmas and embrace your togetherness. Tell the recipient how much you care for them, what you love about them, and, of course, wish them a Merry Hygge Christmas!
Hygge Christmas Crafts: Bookmarks!
A book is a terrific hygge gift, and you can bring even more coziness to it by making a Hygge Christmas bookmark!
- Plain paper
- Thick decorative paper
- Pen (Other drawing utensils)
- Hole punch (Optional)
- String (Optional)
Steps for Hygge Bookmarks
- Cut out a rectangle from your decorative paper that’s roughly 2 x 6 in.
- Taking your plain paper, cut out a rectangle that’s slightly smaller than the decorative paper.
- Tape the two pieces together.
- (Optional) Use your hole puncher and place a hole towards the top of the bookmark.
- (Optional) Cut a few pieces of string and weave them through the hole, knotting the string around it to make a tassel for your bookmark.
- Draw and or write hygge quotes and doodles to decorate your bookmark!
Hygge Quotes for Bookmarks
Hygge quotes are essentially short messages that bring comfort, peace, and ease and promote happiness, positivity, and togetherness. Whichever quote you choose, let it inspire the little details you may add around on the blank spots of your bookmark. Here are a few quotes we handpicked that would fit wonderfully on a hygge bookmark!
- “The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life.” – William Morris
- “Warm tea, good books, soft pillows, fine company.” – Unknown
- “This is a wonderful day. I’ve never seen this one before.” – Maya Angelou
- “I decided there is no enjoyment like reading.” – Jane Austen
- “Some stories stay with us forever.” – Uknown
- “The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.” – W.B. Yeats
- “Let us live like flowers. Wild and beautiful and drenched in sun.” – Ellen Everett
- “Rain, coffee, and you.” – Unknown
- “She looks like art, in the form of a poem.” – Ventum
- “Coziness looks much like you on Sunday morning.” – B.A. McRae
- “With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?” – Oscar Wilde
- “Life is better in bed with a book.” – Unknown
- “Keep reading. It’s one of the most marvelous adventures that anyone can have.” – Lloyd Alexander
- “Wear the old coat and buy the new book.” – Austin Phelps
Paper Snowflakes Decor
Almost all of us have seen that iconic montage from the Christmas movie “Elf” where Buddy the Elf is making extensively beautiful paper snowflakes. They’re outstanding! Well, now you can make your own paper snowflakes decor and bring a sense of unique cozy hygge to your living space.
- Paper (Printer paper is easiest)
- String (Optional)
- Hole Puncher (Optional)
Steps for Paper Snowflakes Decor
- With your paper horizontal, take the top right corner and fold it down to the bottom of the paper. Make sure your fold is pressed and creased down!
- Next, you’ll want to grab your scissors and cut off the rectangular space to the left of the fold you just made. Leaving you a large triangle!
- With your big triangle, take it and fold it in half. Be sure to really press down and crease your fold.
- Once again, you’re going to fold your triangle in half. Press down on the folds to ensure it stays folded!
- Next up, you’ll want to grab your pencil/pen and draw your cut-out guidelines. There isn’t much of a wrong way of doing this, but you want to ensure you don’t cut out too much, or your snowflake may tear easily. You can also do a freestyle if you’d like!
- Go ahead and cut along the lines you’ve drawn, or let your imagination run wild and do a freestyle cut!
- Once you’re done cutting, you can unfold your snowflake and see the beauty that you’ve created! Feel free to simply place these on your Christmas tree if you don’t want to hang up your snowflakes, or you can punch a hole, tie a string through, and hang them around your house.
There you have it folks, you’re ready to bring on the Christmas cheer and the Hygge spirit to your loved ones, old and new friends, and even for yourself.
From your hygge-loving fellows here at Repurposing Junkie, we wish you a cozy, warm, and lovely holiday season with your loved ones.
Pour more hygge into your Christmas with our Hygge Christmas tips!