You have finally taken the plunge and purchased a Cricut cutting machine. Congratulations! Using this machine is going to revolutionize your crafting projects.
But with so many vinyl options available on the market, how can you be sure that you are choosing the right ones? Most of the most commonly used types of vinyl use a mysterious code – what does HVT, 631, and 651 even mean!?
Fear not, once you have the basics down you will be a craft vinyl expert and will be able to make the most of your crafting resources and Cricut machine.
Use this handy guide to learn more about crafting with your Cricut machine, as well as the best vinyls available, and find the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions or problems.
The Oracal brand set the industry standard for adhesive vinyl. By using their products, you can be sure that your project is going to be supported by some of the best adhesive vinyls available.
This pack includes their most popular colors, as well as white and black, in a glossy finish. With such a wide color selection you are bound to find your ideal tones with this pack!
- The permanent adhesive is designed to last over four years outdoors, with the white and black colors lasting over six, getting rid of the need for time-consuming maintenance and reapplication.
- This vinyl comes in flat sheets, making for easy use in your Cricut machine with no rolling up at the corners.
- These sheets are a glossy finish so would not be ideal if you are looking for a flat matte finish on your project.
- Top 24 most popular colors of oracal 651 Glossy vinyl
- Each sheet is 12 inch by 12 inch
- Vinyl is designed to last 4+ years outdoors. White and black will last 6+ years
- Thermal Print compatible
- 2.5-mil thick
Oracal’s outstanding vinyl means it was bound to feature more than once on a best-of list, and this removable adhesive vinyl is truly the best on the market.
The movable nature of this vinyl makes it perfect for stenciling but the vibrant colors available in this pack make it ideal for decorative use, including picture frames and scrapbooking.
It is an indoor-only vinyl and can therefore be used to spruce up a rented space without fear of permanent damage.
- This pack comes as pre-cut sheets, making for easy use with your Cricut machine.
- The easy weeding technology of these vinyls makes for foolproof application of detailed designs, allowing you to create beautiful work.
- Be sure to read all instructions for these vinyl sheets before use. As they are not made with permanent adhesive, any improper application will mean you will not get the full three years of life from your decorations.
- Top 24 most popular colors of oracal 631 matte vinyl
- Each sheet is 12 inch by 12 inch
- Vinyl is designed to last 3+ years
- 3-mil thick
Siser produces the most commonly used Heat Transfer Vinyl (HTV), producing high-quality vinyl that often outlasts the fabric it is applied to. All of their HTV is CPSIA certified, guaranteeing the highest levels of safety and making it perfect for children’s accessories.
This pack’s wide variety of colors and Siser EasyWeed’s simple application process make it perfect for beginners – it is called EasyWeed for a reason!
Siser uses much thinner vinyl than other companies, offering one second tack times and simplifying the process of removing excess vinyl to reveal your beautiful design.
This vinyl is a firm favorite amongst experienced crafters and is a perfect choice for those just beginning their crafting journey.
- This HTV is applied at a lower temperature than others and can be peeled off hot or cold, making it the perfect choice for family crafters.
- Outstanding durability means the vinyl will not peel off after some washes, keeping your projects looking their best for years to come.
- As with all HTV products, these vinyl sheets work best when paired with light-colored fabrics which may limit your design options.
- Siser EasyWeed Heat Transfer Vinyl is the most trusted heat transfer vinyl brand in the world. Heat transfer vinyl is so durable that, when applied properly, will outlast the shirt’s fabric
- Siser EasyWeed is CPSIA Certified so it’s perfect for decorating children’s clothing and accessories. Keep your kiddos safe, stylish, and chemical free with EasyWeed and other Siser materials!
- Siser EasyWeed applies at a lower temperature than competitor material, backing can be peeled hot or cold and doesn’t lift during weeding. It’s also extremely durable wash after wash and uses a lower pressure setting for application.
- EasyWeed is thinner than others on the market and offers a one-second tack application that’s great for multiple layers. EasyWeed has a pressure sensitive carrier that allows you to offer detailed designs on a wide variety of fabrics.
- Heat transfer vinyl is so durable that, when applied properly, will outlast the shirt’s fabric. Great for use in cutting machines such as Silhouette Cameo, Portrait, Curio, Brother ScanNCut 1 & 2, CM100DM, CM250, CM550DX, CM350R, CM350, CM650W, and Cricut.
Why not make use of Cricut’s own vinyl, specifically designed for your Cricut machine? It’s the vinyl I use most often for my projects, and I usually stock up when Cricut does one of their big sales. I signed up for their newsletter here and pounce on the deals right away.
However, I haven’t tried out Cricut’s subscription service yet. Have you? Let me know in the comments below! I’m curious what people think of it.
Cricut offers vinyl with unique adhesives, making it perfect for all your crafting projects, and its UV and water resistance guarantee a long life for your design no matter the use.
With a truly huge range of color options, Cricut’s Premium vinyl can be layered up to three times to create the perfect colorful flair for your crafting project.
Cricut vinyl is also guaranteed to work perfectly with all of the accessories and tools available from Cricut, making your perfect design an easy-to-achieve reality.
- Lasts up to three years when used outside, perfect for wooden signs or wall decorations.
- The vinyl is easy weeding, allowing you to create intricate patterns, and is designed with anti-bubbling material to make application easy.
- This vinyl comes in rolls which is great for easy storage, but the retained curling shape can make it a little difficult to work with for those who are inexperienced. But with a little practice, you are bound to find a technique that works for you!
- STRONG ADHESIVE: Our one of a kind adhesive vinyl can be applied easily to the widest variety of base materials. This vinyl is UV and water resistant, making it great for car or wall decals. When used as directed, your permanent adhesive vinyl can last up to 3 years
- You can also find more fantastic color options from Cricut. Layer up to 3 colors to add colorful, decorative flair to your art project
- CUTS & WEEDS EASILY: With cricut smart, cutting machine products, it’s easy to create unique designs, no matter how intricate. Our vinyl lays flat without tunneling or bubbling for a perfect cut
- CRICUT TOOLS: At Cricut, we offer a wide range of accessories for designing, cutting, and pressing your custom creations. Premium Vinyl works with Cricut cutting machines to make decals, letters, and more
Who doesn’t love a bit of statement glitter? With this vinyl pack, you will be ready to decorate for the holiday season in earnest – or to brighten up any old weekday morning!
Suitable for all cutters including Cricut, this permanent adhesive vinyl is water-resistant and incredibly durable. These vinyl sheets will allow you to create incredible everlasting designs that are bound to impress!
These sheets are packaged in rolls for compact and easy storage, but this gorgeous statement vinyl is so easy to use it will not be stored for long!
The thin sheets make cutting easy and, with a little practice, quick weeding will soon come. These vinyl sheets are bound to find a home in your crafting collection!
- Vibrant solid glitter colors are eye-catching and keep their sparkle for years. The silver sheet is also an elusive true holographic – no poor chrome imitations here!
- These sheets are easy to use and a perfect option for those who enjoy crafting with children.
- If your Cricut machine is having difficulty cutting this vinyl, be sure to remove the protective film and try again.
- BEST PRICE PACKAGE! 12” X 12” INCH VINYL Rolls 6 sheets in 6 different colors, Gold, Silver, Red, Green, Purple. Perfect for all your crafting needs.
- MULTI-APPLICATION - Enjoy 6 colors permanent adhesive vinyl rolls that are compatible with vinyl machines, which can be used for Home Decor, Scrapbooking, Lettering, Graphics, Stickers, Decals, Mirrors, Laptop, Windows, Banners, Sign and any other smooth flat surface, and So Much More!
- SUITABLE WITH ALL CUTTERS. Any other crafting cutters that take similar vinyl sheets then this product is definitely for you.
- CLEAN AND SMOOTH! - DIY your decorative craft gifts with holographic chrome vinyl craft paper, the vinyl are permanent vinyl so you can create Everlasting gifts to be impressed! Use our black vinyl decorations to Breathe Joy into friends and families.
Clear vinyl is usually sold as window or static cling vinyl and uses static electricity to stick to surfaces, rather than using an adhesive. As such, it is particularly useful during the holiday season to hold temporary decals to your window for easy removal and re-use.
This vinyl sheet will stick to any smooth surface from dry erase boards to glass, metal, or plastic, making these truly versatile and a must for any avid crafter.
- These vinyl sheets can be decorated further with pens or glitter glue, the perfect job for a child’s nimble fingers!
- Outside the world of craft, these sheets work brilliantly to hold windshield stickers in place on the inside of your car, without leaving permanent adhesive marks after removal.
- Although these are infinitely reusable you do need to make sure that you wipe down the cling vinyl and the surface before and after application, otherwise the decorations will fall off.
- JUST PEEL AND STICK: Grafix Cling Film uses static to cling onto smooth, glossy surfaces without the use of any sticky adhesives.
- LET YOUR CREATIVITY SHOW: Use with Die-cut machines, punches, or cut to create your own window clings! Embellish with permanent markers, paint pens, and glitter glue.
- MAKE TEMPORARY DECORATIONS: This film is perfect for creating removable decorations for windows, mirrors, cars, picture frames, school lockers, dry erase boards, and many other smooth, glossy surfaces!
- REUSABLE: Just peel off the designs after use and store for next time! Be sure to wipe down surface and cling film before each use to maintain cling.
- PERFECT SIZE: This pack includes 6 sheets of clear cling film. Each sheet is 9 x 12”and .007” or 7-mil thick. Made in the USA.
Types Of Vinyl
In the crafting world, all vinyl used will either be a heat transfer vinyl – also known as HTV or iron-on vinyl – or will be adhesive vinyl. Most people are familiar with adhesive vinyl that is stuck on things like windows, cars, or mugs for decoration.
HTV vinyl works in a similar way, but is used almost exclusively for fabric pieces, such as tote bags or clothing, and its adhesive is activated by heat.
Permanent adhesive vinyl, such as Oracal’s 651 vinyl, can be used anywhere you want. The adhesive of permanent vinyl is compatible with glass, metal, plastic, and many other surfaces.
It can also be used on walls but this is not generally recommended as the strong adhesive can cause damage when removed.
With its waterproof qualities and outdoor durability that can last over six years, it is perfect for many projects, including car decals and crockery. Just be careful when using the vinyl for cups or dishes – make sure to hand wash so the vinyl does not come off in the dishwasher.
A removable adhesive vinyl is a great option for those just starting out or those who are unsure of the best placement for their vinyl designs, simply because you have a period of time to move the design around after you lay it.
For use indoors, its movable quality makes this type of vinyl perfect for interior decorating, providing a way to brighten up your space without permanent damage, as well as scrapbooking and making stencils.
Heat Transfer Vinyl
Heat transfer vinyl, or iron-on vinyl, can be used to customize any fabric, perfect for personalizing tote bags and t-shirts. If you are a dedicated HTV crafter, you have the option of investing in a heat press.
These give a better adhesion than using your iron, meaning your project will be more durable, and can also be quicker to use. If you are only using HTV vinyl for a few items, using your iron will be just fine.
Don’t Forget The Transfer Tape!
Transfer tape is rolled out over your vinyl design after the Cricut machine has cut it out and you have weeded (removed the excess vinyl). This allows you to peel off the backing material of the vinyl, exposing the sticky adhesive, for placement on your project.
A good quality transfer tape will make this whole process easier, sticking to the vinyl where necessary but can be quickly peeled off without moving the design.
Most vinyl options for Cricut machines do not come with transfer tape, but be sure to check the product as some do.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Cricut machine?
A Cricut machine is a machine used for cutting crafting materials, primarily paper, vinyl, cardstock, and heat transfer vinyl.
By connecting a device with compatible design software, usually either a computer or phone, designs can be uploaded to the machine for it to cut. Cricut machines are certainly a must for any keen crafter!
What Vinyl Do I Need For My Cricut Machine?
Just about all types of vinyl can be used with Cricut machines, in fact the Cricut machine can work with almost any type of material you use in your crafting endeavors. The type of vinyl you use will depend on your project, rather than your Cricut machine.
Do I Need Transfer Tape For HTV Vinyl?
No, you do not need transfer tape for HTV vinyl. This is the only kind of vinyl that you will use that does not require transfer tape and comes with its own carrier sheet.
What Does Oracal’s Numbering System Mean?
As Oracal is one of the most popular brands for Cricut vinyl, it is important to understand its numbering system.
The 51 range – including 651, 751, 851, and 951 – are all permanent vinyl and are all compatible with Cricut machines. The only difference is the quality of the vinyl sheets.
A 651 vinyl sheet will last around six years, a 751 sheet will last around seven, and the rest of the range follows the same pattern. The 6510 series is the neon colors of the 651, but with a shorter year rating.
Oracal 631 is an indoor vinyl with a matte finish that is removable for up to two years. Oracal 641 is made with a water-based adhesive, as opposed to the 51 range which uses solvents, and will last for around four years when placed outside.
Other less commonly used Oracal products include the 5600 series – reflective outdoor vinyl with a lifespan of seven years – and the 8300 series – featuring dye transparency and UV stabilization for a stained glass effect on your project.
Creating long-lasting and gorgeous embellishments has never been easier thanks to Cricut machines and the vast array of vinyls on offer.
You need to keep in mind that some types of vinyl are better for your specific project than others. HTV vinyl, for example, is the only option for fabric decoration and removable adhesive cannot be used outside as it will lose its stickiness when wet.
For the best results, make sure you follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid pesky air bubbles that would otherwise ruin your crafting project. Happy crafting!