Metal Kid’s Chair Refinished
Nearly 15 years ago I bought these kid’s chairs to refinish. The chair on the left is the one that is getting a makeover this time around. It looked just like the one on the right. As you can see from the chair on the right, the work that I did on them way back wasn’t that great, and it was left unfinished. I think I was going to replace or paint the seats and back rest, but really don’t remember. Well I’m here to tell you that one of them is fully restored and the other is, well, still a work in progress, but more on that later.
The first thing we did was take the rivets off the chair by drilling through them. Then I spray painted the chair black, and it sat like that for about a month or two. It has take almost 15 years to give this little chair a new look, so why rush? 😉 The black paint actually got some scuffs while waiting, and I didn’t bother touching it up because it goes well with the distressed look of the seat and back rest, and let’s face it, it’s just going to get scuffed up again.
I purchased some wooden plaques at Hobby Lobby that I thought would be a quick and easy way to give this chair a new seat and back rest. The plaques were sanded and painted with white and blue latex paint, layering it on and then sanding it so the white showed through. The plaques were pre-drilled, then attached with a bolt and nut. I wanted to countersink the bolts so that I could put wood filler over them and make the surface flat.
After the wood filler was dry, I sanded it smooth and painted over the wood filler. Then I used these stencils to stencil the back rest and seat. When it was all dry, it was sealed with wax.
This chair is the perfect height to be paired with this stenciled kids table.
As for the chair on the right, I wanted to take the paint off completely and start from scratch. So far, the seat and back rest were removed, and I applied a coat of CitriStrip over the entire chair and scraped off what paint I could. Then I got really discouraged with just how much paint was on the chair and so I left it outside to let the weather do the rest for me. Here’s the progress on the stripping. I did sand a smidge on one of the back rest pieces, but I am definitely not in a hurry to finish this, so it will remain outside until I’m feeling motivated enough to pick up a piece of sandpaper and finish it off, or until all the rain and snow take it off for me. 😉
You might also like: