Repurposed Puzzle Wall Art
Who doesn’t love a good before and after reveal?! I hope you all do because I have 3 of them today! I really wanted to beef up this post with 3 great before and after projects that I’ve done recently, and I hope they inspire you. They were all fairly easy, some more time consuming than others, but still pretty easy.
The first project I want to share with you is this repurposed puzzle wall art. I love, love putting puzzles together. When I was younger I put together puzzles like crazy, not so much anymore unless I want half the pieces chewed on and/or lost, Lol. I had an Anne Geddes 3 puzzle box set I put together. I mod podged the 3 puzzles and my mom had 2 of them framed. I had wanted to hang them in my future laundry room, but not so much anymore. Instead of throwing out a perfectly good picture I just repurposed it. They are pretty cute, huh? My daughters think these babies are adorable and fun looking.
First I flipped the picture over and tore off the paper. Then I took off the fasteners keeping the contents in place, and removed the puzzle from the frame. I also took the glass out and cleaned it and put it back in.
I flipped over the puzzle to the back, and I spray painted the back with an off white color. I could tell the spray paint finish wasn’t what I was looking for, so I took out my semi-gloss latex paint tinted Natural Tan and coated the puzzle several times, drying between coats. The picture below is pre-paint.
After the paint was dry, I stenciled it with Psalm 91:1 and my stenciling job wasn’t that great, so I painted the entire puzzle with 2 coats of the same latex paint. I stenciled it again with the same verse, and it turned out great, only when I went to hang it up I noticed I made the stencil wrong. The verse reference wrongly ready Psalm 1:1. Thankfully I only had to repaint the reference and fix the number issue. I tried making this stencil over and over again, but each time I had issues, and I gave up on making it. Instead, I simply took another stencil I had made and stenciled an upside 6 on the puzzle. Can you tell it’s a different size? I put the puzzle back in the frame and used a heavy duty stapler to secure the contents in the frame. I made this stencil with my Cricut Machine using the font Tingler Script and I purchased this beautiful embellishment from this Creative Market Shop.
Don’t you love the puzzle canvas?! I think it gives it a unique look. I left the frame as is, and this “new” piece of wall art is hanging up in the entryway.
The second before and after I wanted to show you is a repurposed cabinet door. There were 6 beautiful cabinet doors hanging up in the garage enclosing shelves, that my husband ripped down shortly after we moved into our house. He showed me these cabinet doors and I fell in love with them. Wouldn’t you? They have a cool look, huh?
I’ve only got around to using one door so far. I actually needed a canvas to put 2 of my newest stencils on, and one of these doors seemed perfect. I took the hardware off, and sanded the cabinet door down front and back. Then the door was given one coat of white paint, and when dried, was sanded off until this look was achieved. I stenciled my new coffee love stencil on the back of the door. I’m really enjoying designing these word art stencils! Do you all like them? This stencil is available in my resource library as a Free JPEG File for Subscribers.
Here’s the front of the cabinet door with the word art train stencil. I like how the train looks, but I think it gets lost in the different colored background. I might try again with a plain white, green or light blue background. I don’t know, what color would you use on the background? The train stencil is available in my resource library as a Free JPEG file for email subscribers.
My third project I want to share is this easy chair makeover. I love the before chair, but like most furniture that falls into my hands, it gets paint splattered on it. It used to sit in the entryway, but when it got it’s unwelcome painted splattered makeover, it got stored out of sight, until a few weeks ago.
I unscrewed the seat from the chair, cleaned up the frame a bit and spray painted the chair black. Then I took the orange cover off the seat and stapled some extra fabric I had on hand, onto the seat. The seat was then fastened back onto the chair. This was a quick and easy project that took maybe an hour or two and that includes dry time.
I hope you all have enjoyed these 3 before and after reveals!
You might also like: